On Thursday 9th,
2017 I did my second teaching practicum. I was in charge of teaching
prepositions of time and place. I stated the class with a warm-up activity
called “roll the dice” and for that I had students standing up making a circle.
In this game, students had to pass the dice around the circle while I played
some music, and when the music stops, the students who was holding the dice had
to throw it and according to the number that the student had, she/he had to
pick a piece of paper with that number from the board, read a question and
answer it. I think that this activity was good to have students speaking English
while they enjoyed playing it.
After that, I developed a listening activity,
but before playing the audio, I asked students the following questions: when
you travel to a new place, What things would you like to see? What things would
you like to do? What things would you like to buy? I had students writing a short
list about those things, then I asked some students to share the list with the
whole. During the listening, I gave students a sheet with a multiple choice
exercise, and they had to listen and choose the correct answer. I played the
audio three times because students didn’t understand it. However, they looked
lost when I asked them to share their results, and I considered to play the
audio again but time was flying and I needed to move on to another activity
about vocabulary matching. In this activity, I gave students a sheet in which
there were some vocabulary related to the listening, and students needed to
fill the blanks with it.
In my last activity, I used again the dice, but instead
of numbers the dice had prepositions. So, I had students making a circle and passing
the dice, and as the warm up activity the student who had the dice at the
moment music stops, she/he had to throw the dice and create a sentence using the
preposition that she/he got.
As a conclusion, I can say I need to improve when
giving directions because they are basic students, so I need to keep the
directions simple and understandable.



Hey Jas! I know that the biggest problem all of us have is giving directions, but as you wrote here, we all need to improve on that area.
ReplyDeleteBesides, your class was better than the fisrt one, and I like it!
Hi Jasmin! I know sometimes it is very hard for students to understand certain activities and more when we talking about listenings and of course, you cannot give them a lot of time because time is pure gold during a class of 50 minutes. I liked that you made the students worked together in most of the activities because I think interaction means everything in an English class. Good luck in your last class!
ReplyDeleteHi Jadmin! i know it is hard to develop an class when students don`t understand because it means you have to work double or change you lesson, but that is our challenge as teacher, to make things work out and you know you can d it. Now you know it is hard for some students to understand, maybe you should consider to give instructions a simple way? just a suggestion!
ReplyDeleteI think that develop a listening can be the most challenging situation, but i could realize that you handled it.Besides, it was good that you used the same dice for two activities, just try to give short, and concise directions so that your students can understand them in an easier way. Wondrous!!!
ReplyDeleteI consider that teaching to basic students is more difficult than teaching advanced ones. You did a god job how you manage each activity. There are always many aspects to be improved. I bet that you are going to improve your technique by giving directions. God job, my friend.
ReplyDelete