On February 3rd, 2017, I started my first teaching practicum and my first experience as a teacher at the university. I am teaching to Basic English students and that day I taught them about the verb to be, countries and nationalities, and famous people.
I was afraid, anxious, and nervous because
since the preparation of the materials to use in the class, I had some problems
with the computer so that my anxiety increased. However, I had to start my
class, so I tried to forget about that problem for a moment and develop the
class as good as possible.
I started my class with a warm up activity in which Ss had to introduce themselves. The activity was good as Ss were engaged in it. Then, I developed an activity in which Ss had to see a video about the verb to be and sing the song. In the pre-activity Ss just listened, in the during-activity they sang the song, and in the post-activity, I pasted some sentences about the verb to be and students changed them into negative and interrogative form. During the development of these activities, I could notice the same students were participating and the others were quiet, and I think it is because they are afraid of speaking and make mistakes. I also developed an activity in which I presented Ss a PowerPoint presentation with the flags of some countries and they had to tell me the country and the nationality.
I started my class with a warm up activity in which Ss had to introduce themselves. The activity was good as Ss were engaged in it. Then, I developed an activity in which Ss had to see a video about the verb to be and sing the song. In the pre-activity Ss just listened, in the during-activity they sang the song, and in the post-activity, I pasted some sentences about the verb to be and students changed them into negative and interrogative form. During the development of these activities, I could notice the same students were participating and the others were quiet, and I think it is because they are afraid of speaking and make mistakes. I also developed an activity in which I presented Ss a PowerPoint presentation with the flags of some countries and they had to tell me the country and the nationality.
Moreover, it was supposed that I had to develop a listening activity, but as I said previously, I had problems with the computer, so I could not do that activity. At this moment, I felt bad because I knew that I had to be prepared with a back-up plan, but I did not have it so that I had to move to the last activity that was a wrap up in which Ss had to write about a famous person. However, the problem with the computer affected my score.
To sum up, I can tell you that I have to improve many aspects when teaching as my mentor told me. I will learn from the bad experiences that I had in my first class, and I hope that I can improve those aspects to become a better teacher and do my best in the other classes.

Hi Jasmin, So sorry to read about the issue you had with the computer. For the next classes, you should take in consideration all of these issues. I like the warm up you performed i think that helped you to get some students` names. To be baic class, i can read your class participated a lot and that`s good because make us to keep the calm. Break a leg for your next class!!
ReplyDeletehello jasmin, First of all let me tell you that I really like your blog. Secondly, I want to tell you that I was very afraid, nervous, but when I started my class I felt okay, I hope for your next class you can feel more comfortable while you are teaching, and I read that all your students participated thats good for them because they can practice more.
ReplyDeleteI felt so sorry for you when I read the issue of the computer, but I hope your next class will be better. I really like that all your students were participating in your activities.
ReplyDeleteHi!The problems always happen with the electronic devices. you just need a plan "B" in order to continue with the class. also, don´t ask for volunteers in the activities so that everybody can participate.
ReplyDeleteHi
ReplyDeletelet me tell you that these problems can happen to any one, so do not worry about it. For the next time try to choose the students for the activities in order to make them participate.
Hello, Jasmin! Don't worry that much about the problems you had in your first experience, I would suggest you to focus more on having all your students practicing the language. Keep your chin up!
ReplyDeleteHello Jasmin! I'm so sorry about the problem you had with the computer, as an advice for the next classes, try to create a back up plan because these kind of problems happens all the time, but a simple problem cannot minimize the great class you prepared. You did everything good in order to share your knowledge to your students. I hope you don't have problems in your next classes! I wish you the best!
ReplyDeleteHey jasmin,I jut want to tell you that everything can happend in a classroom, and just make sure some miutes before your class starts that your equipment works appropriate so that you can avoid problems like those you had in your first experience teaching. Keep on going!!!
ReplyDelete